MG SA saloon, 1937
Hide slides
Mise à jour: 14-June-2024 13:56

MG SA saloon, 1937

Information
Model information
Make history

MG SA berline, année 1937. Couleur vert bicolore associée à un intérieur en cuir beige garni de moquette verte et de ciel d’intérieur marron clair. Roues à rayons peintes argent chaussées de pneus Blockley 5,50 x 18 pouces. Cette merveilleuse MG SA fut vendue neuve au Royaume-Uni avec l'immatriculation MG5441. Le livre d'immatriculation britannique d'origine est toujours avec la voiture, tout comme le manuel d'instructions d'origine et la brochure ! Cette magnifique MG SA fut achevée ces dernières années, après une restauration et une révision complète et détaillée par un spécialiste britannique. Coûts ni efforts n'ont été épargnés pour atteindre la perfection, le prix de vente est bien inférieur aux coûts de la restauration. Cette MG SA berline est dans un superbe état de top, nous sommes sûrs que vous ne trouverez pas d'exemple plus magnifiquement restauré ! La MG SA « sporting saloon » fut introduite par MG pour rivaliser avec les voitures SS (plus tard Jaguar) et même Bentley (les modèles Rolls Royce "Derby"). Au total, seuls 2739 exemplaires furent construits de cette MG exclusive de 1936 à 1939. La MG SA est équipée de freins à tambour à commande hydraulique et d'un système de levage hydraulique « Jackall » très spécial qui fonctionne sur cette voiture ! Cette MG SA fut restaurée à la perfection et présente tous les détails d'origine. Même l'intérieur fut minutieusement restauré à la perfection, il vous faudra des heures pour étudier tous les détails. Très agréable est le pare-soleil à l'intérieur de la lunette arrière, qui peut être commandé par câble depuis le siège du conducteur. Cette MG rare est accompagnée d'un dossier historique complet et des livrets d'origine. Cette MG SA est une formidable trouvaille pour le collectionneur et passionné de MG. Cette merveilleuse automobile peut être exportée et immatriculée dans tous les pays du monde.

ARCHIVES | VENDU

Technical data*:

Engine: 6 cylinder in-line engine
cylinder capacity: 2288 cc
carburettor(s): 2 S.U.
capacity: 80 pk bij 4200 rpm
top-speed: 130 km/h - 81 mph
gearbox: 4-speed, manual
brakes: drum brakes around
weight: 1511 kg.

* Source: The Complete Catalog of British Cars 1895 - 1975
 Culshaw & Horrobin

MG history

MG (Morris Garage) was set up by William Morris in the year 1923 to market a more sporty line of Morris models. Morris Production Manager, Cecil Kimber, was transferred from the factory in Cowley to Morris Garages (in Abington) to design MG's using Morris parts. MG production in Abingdon started in the year 1924. At the end of the 1930s, even normal passenger cars were introduced under the MG label.
The business flourished when in 1945, just after World War II, the sporty prewar MG TB and its successor the TC stole the hearts of the American soldiers. Numerous MGs were shipped to America where this type of motorcar was yet unknown.
Demand for the MG sports cars quickly rose in America, and most of the MGs were sold across the big pond in the years that followed. MGs were simple and well-built, affordable and easy to maintain. In 1952, Austin Motor Corporation merged with Morris Motors to form British Motor Corporation Ltd*.
In 1955, the pre-war TB and the post-war TC, TD and TF series with their pre-war designs were followed by the MG A roadster, which also became available as coupes after 1956.
In 1962, the successful MG A was followed by the even more successful and austerely but elegantly lined MG B. This series, too, mainly found its way to America. The MG B was available as roadster and as a 2+2 coupe, called the ‘GT’.
As British Motor* had stopped the production of the Austin Healey, there was again the need for a six-cylinder sports car from this stable, which made the MG C see the light of day in 1967. It was an MG B with a six-cylinder engine. However, this car failed to live up to expectations as its road-holding and character were not of Healey’s caliber. Eventually, Healey’s successor was to come from the newly merged British Leyland* stable in 1968, and was called the Triumph TR6.
In 1973, a V8 variant of the MG B came onto the market: the MGB V8. This model had a powerful Rover 3.5 litre V8 motor and was to be built until 1976.

The MG B roadster and the GT were sold until 1980, and, under pressure from American legislation, were adapted with safety-enhancing and emission-reducing conversions during their last five production years. The resultant thick rubber bumpers and less powerful engines made these cars much less attractive. Meanwhile, Japan produced the Datsun 240 Z, and put an end to the British sports car hegemony in America.

In 1980, it was curtains for MG B. In the years after, some Austins did appear, ‘dressed up’ as MGs but we’d rather forget about them. Finally, in the 1990s, a worthy successor emerged in the form of the MG F, which is available to this day.
In the year 2001 BMW decided to get rid of Rover because they were losing lots of money because the British pound was too expensive as was manufacturing cars in England.
A group of investors bought Rover. They took over the entire model line and were able to work out the last details on the Rover 75 Tourer and market it. Next idea was to give MG a true rebirth; various Rover models were technically re-engineered, tuned and spiced up to make thru drivers cars of them, a sporty line of cars alongside the Rover middle-class luxury line.
Looking at the Rover/ MG cars and reading about them in the press we can tell that we have high expectations of the MG models to appear in the future.

© Marc Vorgers 

British Leyland*
1968-75: BRITISH LEYLAND MOTOR CORPORATION, LTD
1975-78: BRITISH LEYLAND LIMITED
(in the merger of BRITISH MOTOR HOLDINGS with Austin-Morris and Jaguar interests in 1966)
and LEYLAND MOTOR CORP. LTD.
partly nationalized by the British government in 1975

Altena Classic Service
Contact
Adresse
Par la route
Téléphone: +31 (0)524 561 122
De Vaart 23
7784 DK Gramsbergen
Pays-Bas